Friday, 23 September 2011

DEATH FROM BELOW!


Recently, John Freeman asked me if I’d be up for drawing the cover for the second issue of the soon to be launched comic book, STRIP.
     Best of all…. The cover was of HOOKJAW, from ACTION, the 70s most mischievous comic book, and certainly the bloodiest thing to ever see print in mainstream UK Comics!!!
    Ramon Sola is one of my absolute heroes, and he drew HOOKJAW in ACTION weekly.. so I was very excited about drawing this cover! 
   Hook jaw is being remastered for STRIP Magazine by Gary Caldwell and Jim Campbell in sparkling new colour, with no script edits (there will be no Greedo shot first type nonsense!)


    I originally wanted to show the whole of HookJaw… and thought I’d try the old 70s technique of putting another panel within his shape… so the Screaming diver is ‘reflected’ in HookJaw’s body… but I thought it looked kinda messy.

    So I tried it with the diver superimposed inside HookJaw’s mouth.. to suggest what was about to happen to him…  but again…  I thought it looked kinda confusing, and was a bit too busy.. no breathing space, so I abandonned that one too!
    I added the strap line to the cover to make sure I’d left enough room for type.. and to my delight… John used it on the final cover! Death from below... get out of the water while you still can!
 

    Eventually, I went for a real 70s comic book approach…. The diver almost reaching the surface, and HookJaw looming over him.  This also meant I could emphasize the ocean, and blood!
  This is probably as close to drawing my childhood comics as I’ll get…  I can’t wait to see it in print!

STRIP Magazine PREVIEWS Code for Issue 1 (on sale 20th October) is Code is JUL117915

The Magazine is only on sale in UK comic shops but the plan is to re-launch in newsagents in 2012. 

Issue 2 (my cover!) is on sale 17th November.


 Stay off the beach!
Rufus





5 comments:

John McCrea said...

Good Man, that's awesome!

Rufus Dayglo said...

Wow...Thank you John!!

Hope I see you at the MCM or Thought Bubble...

Ade Salmon said...

Killer !

A

David Tulloch said...

Hook Jaw was a damn scary comic when I read it as a kid. But, alas, I discovered Action comics only months before it merged with Battle. I always wondered/hoped they would bring him back in Battle Action as a navy experiment or something.

Matt said...

That is an absolutely cracking cover!

Nice one, Rufus.

Matt Badham