Tuesday, 14 June 2011

TANK GIRL PAINTING

  The last few years I've done quite a few Tank Girl covers....

My usual technique is to pencil the art, then do acrylic washed in greyscale (just watered down lack acrylic ink) over the top. I then scan the B&W art, and colour in Photoshop.
  I enjoy this process... but recently I've wanted to start painting in colour again.. partly for my own enjoyment, partly for my new project.

So I'm noodling with some acrylics on plywood...

Firstly... pencil a sketch...

Ink in the picture as a guide...

Base coat loosely applied...


Start 'fleshing' it out.... literally...

still noodling...

Will update soon!
xxx Ruf.. Team Tankie Crayon Bobsled squad...

7 comments:

BigLerowski said...

I love seeing the process. I've never bumped into the grayscale shadows testing technique before… sounds reasonable! Thanks for sharing, Ruf.

SUPERHILBO! said...

Yep, agree with above, seeing the process is always brilliant. Keep posting stuff as ur goin along - it really helps!! :)

Rufus Dayglo said...

BL - I'll post an old cover, and how I did it, next week!

Schnicole's Shizaz! said...

what kind of paint did you use for the base layer? some sort of gel?

Rufus Dayglo said...

Just a basic set of Daler Rowney System 3 starter Acrylics..

The base texture (which gives the nicebeefy lines) was made using Gel Medium 'Hard Paste' for acrylics.. you can get these at any Art shop.

The Reverse-Dad said...

That camera+? Looks great. I haven't read Tank Girl in years. Is it still random as all get out?

Rufus Dayglo said...

Yes, Tankie's as random as ever.

Alan and I have done 6 collections..all available on Amazon etc.