Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Tanks for the memories...

I'm currently attempting to finish Issue 3 of  'Tank Girl - The Royal Escape' for our friends at IDW comics... I have very patient Editors (and thanks to them..it's appreciated..)
    I hope you'll enjoy it... It's been a pretty mental story, and pretty epic to draw.

Here's a Double page Spread from Issue 3... coloured by my lovely friend Christian Krank, who has really done some fabulous work, and is such a patient, great guy. thanks Mr Krank.. I really appreciate all your hard work!



In other news.. I have one more episode to draw for our tenure in the Judge Dredd Megazine (Flying Ant Day Pt.2).

Many, many thanks to Matt Smith for his unwavering support, and for commissioning Alan and I to do Tank Girl for the Judge Dredd Megazine in the first place.
        It was a brave decision, and I know some die hard Dredd heads felt we were a cuckoo in their nest.
We just wanted to bring something different to the mix, and hopefully encourage a few different readers.. and we have had some great responses... and we are very thankful for readers support and generousity.

       I must admit though.. 2000ad's Message board in the last few years has sunk to some pretty diabolical lows, as a small hard core whom mistakenly feel they are 2000ad's only 'true' readership spew venom, scorn and mockery on anything that falls outside their narrow expectations.
Not just at their opinion of what I work on..but others friends work too.
 Unbelievably they've really put me off  2000ad completely.. and I've even stopped reading it, and I've read it most of my life.
I dedicated years to helping research 2000ad, it's art, and artists.. but my enthusiasm has been truly burnt out. So credit where credit is due... thanks Messageboard.
 These bozos will be the death of the comic.. as they drive casual readers, and fans (like myself) away.

Sorry to sound negative, it just breaks my heart to see idiots spoil the very thing I love.


I'd also like to send love to John Hicklenton's family.  John was a real star.  One of my heroes, a friend, and such a character... We'll never see his like again.
  John's wicked sense of humour, his love of life, and of his wife, his art, and his friends is something I can only hope to learn from.
I'm honoured to have known him.

Here's an illo he did for another friend's memorial (Tom Frame).. it was one of the first things I ever coloured.. and I was so happy I'd even worked with him in this tiny capacity.






Again...Thanks to all our friends and supporters..for your kindness, humour, and warmth...
We can't tell you how much it means to us, both as a team, and as individuals.

Love'n tanks to you all. x x x
Rufus..the human rigellian hotshot

10 comments:

John said...

Take care of the team, as you leave the Meg Rufus. I feel that your work on Tank Girl has been superb. Having only known of the character through pop culture and seeing the film I thought it was interesting to see her exploits in the Meg. After all, it is an anthology title and has had many stories in its pages that have had nothing to do with Dredd's world.
I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the characters in the Meg and your art complimented the scripts perfectly.
I found that you managed to draw such a lot in each panel, all the added bits here and there, that it always took a second reading to see them all.
I do hope we see you back in the Meg or 2000AD in the future, if not with Tank Girl then with another story of your choosing.
I can understand why you wouldn't though but I won't go into that as life is too short.
On that sad note, I was shocked about hearing of Johnny's passing. A tremendously talented and articulate guy who went before his time, sadly missed.

Strictly Kev said...

Rufus, that's a real shame about TG and the Meg, I started reading it again when the story first appeared, it will be a shame to see it go. I never understood the venom it came in for over the recent months in the letters page unless a small group of people are mounting a hate campaign it seems strange.. I can only think that they never knew the original and miss the point completely. At least you have other pastures to go to though!.

Pete Wells said...

A sad post indeed, for several reasons.

I liked Tanky and am sad she's leaving the Meg, still at least I can continue to follow her (and you) in the fine comics you're doing for other publishers. More than that though Ruf, I love your work (as you well know!), and it breaks my heart to think we may not see you in the prog again because of a small and insensitive vocal minority. You're already a HUGE miss on the board and will be an even bigger miss at the House of Tharg. I know your post isn't saying you won't work for the big green bastard again but if you feel so negative about the readership the chances are you won't wanna.

As for being put off the prog itself because of it's readers, that's crackers sir! The sleep deprivation has finally pushed you over the edge! It's going through an excellent patch at the minute and Dredd is essential reading. I hate to think you of all people are missing out 'cos of some internet forum!

I hope you do begin to feel more positive about 2000AD again as I won't rest until I get my 26 part Dredd Mega epic by Wagner and Dayglo!

Also, I feel have have to mention Johnny's sad passing. The man was a true original who's creative energy simply flew off the page! I have a page of his artwork hanging outside of my classroom in the hope that his infectious imagination inspires my pupils!

Mark said...

Fucking hell, Rufus. Shocked, saddened greatly, but not surprised. I avoid all messageboards for the same reasons, 'cus the deranged ranting of dunderheads high on their own overblown sense of entitlement would put anyone off the artform for life.

And RIP John Hicklenton. What a fearless stylist.

Chris said...

Rufus, don't let the cunts get you down. You're doing it, and they're not... whatever anyone might say, message boards aren't the "real world", which means they can be a place where sad little people act out fantasies of being the big man and think that just cos they aren't face to face with people, they can say what they like. Fuck 'em, I say... now get back to your drawing board and crank out some more doodles of old bazooka tits.

Rufus Dayglo said...

Thanks Mark.. :-)

Pete..I'll hopefully be in the Progs again..Tharg willing..
I'm just looking forward to a nice break.. :-)

Chris..Many thanks.. It's not so much others getting to me..as driving away others..it really upsets me that such negativity runs unchecked on an official site..(well..even an official site)

I attempt to treat others with respect, and when I see some of the stuff spewed at friends and colleagues it makes me wonder what they hope to achieve..

Do they not wonder why more artists and writers don't communicate with them?

Chris Askham said...

Hey Rufus -

I for one have really enjoyed TG's run in the Meg, and have never understood the negativity towards it. Don't take too much notice of the daft nerks over on the forum, they are just the very vocal minority after all.

All the best in everything you do,

Chris A.

Ines myuuhailurusu said...

I didn't know this was happening, it's not everyday I have a piece of Tank Girl issue on my hands (for obvious reasons), and I just...don't understand. I don't understand why are they acting as little f*uckers towards you (and other artists/writers?). Seriously, ignore them. That's why I don't go to that type of messegeboards, there's always a group of people who just seem to love doing that, being negative and stupid/harsh towards something that may seem a bit different, from what they were used to, to their eyes. (and myself as an amateur comic artist, they really push us out of those places, eh? We get intimidated).

I'm sorry about all that...but I just want you to know that you are a great artist, I love your work a lot, and the 'new' Tank Girl stories have been great. Listen to us, and not them :) So, you deserve a break from those ignorant people... hope to see you again on TG team..if not (aww no please), I'll be waiting for your next work then!

(I did a drawing for you, hope at least will make you smile when I'll post it... TG team go go go!)

Also, Rest in Peace John Hicklenton...you and your art will be really missed :'(

Puredaft said...

Fuck the begrudgers! Was thrilled when you and Alan started with Tankie in the Meg... Got me back to reading it and 2000AD and have been enjoying both enormously since. Will keep following the tank tracks where ever they lead.
Hope to see you back sometime churning out the thrills for His Emerald Eminence. Don't give up on the Betelgeusian Big Guy just yet. There are far more genuinely appreciative readers and fans than the few small-minded self-serving unhappy little trolls that unfortunately dominate message boards and forums.
A big thank you to you both...
We will prevail.

David Rees said...

Hey Ruf,

As indicated by the posts above - don't let the fuckers get you down.

Hurtful as the negative comments are, they're just the ramblings of a few madmen who unfortunately have access to a keyboard and internet connection. There's a lot of love for your Tank Girl run in the Meg and it's a shame this hasn't been more vocal - I can type this in capitals if it will help.

I'm horrified to think you'd stop reading 2000AD over this. If you do decide to stop reading or buying for a while, let me know when you come to your senses and want to get back on the wagon - I'll send my Progs over so you can catch up :-)

In short, none of this is worth losing your Thrill-Tan over!