Friday, 21 November 2008

MUTATE BRITAIN OPENING!

Last night was the opening of MUTATE BRITAIN in Curtain Road, Hoxton, the Mutoid Waste Company's Art extavaganza!
Spread over 4 floors, the exhibition has all sorts of amazing stuff, from a Jet car (a reall friggin' Russian 4X4 with jet fuselage) to paintings, sculpture, prints, ceramics, and 'urban' art.

I got there early to hook up with Brett Ewins (2000ad Luminary, mentor, and fine artist). There was already a queue, snaking it's way up the street...and looking up, there were huge inflatable green tentacles up the top of the building!

I managed to circumvent the queue and sneak in, and had a sane 5 minutes to try and take afew pics before it got so busy it became pointless to try photograph stuff. (I'm a rubbish photographer anyway..)

There was a free bar, so i bundled up there, grabbed a cocktail, and worked my way down the building, past burlesque dancers, a band, tattooist, print workshop display, coffee shop and hundreds of pieces of art...

You've got to go and check it out...it's on for a month, and is incredible.

Many of the pieces are for sale (hint, cough)...

A huge thanks to Alex Wreckage Wright, who curated the show, and did a truly beautiful painting to, for invitingme, and getting this whole thing together.... What a sterling job Sir!

And..Thank you to all those working last night, and Mutoid Waste for making this all possible.

Here's some awful photos by Captain Crap-Photo..

Arriving....Queue, and Tentacles..

Photobucket

Photobucket

Brett Ewins with one of a number of pieces he had in the show...

Photobucket

Me... poser... with our Tank Girl panel...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Bizarre entrance hall, and exhibits...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Jet Girl would kill for this baby... so would I...

Photobucket

Plane wing hung from second story, and ceranmic Mickey Death panel...

Photobucket

2nd Floor..going up! Some prints for sale...and liggers..

Photobucket

Looking down a the queue..

Photobucket

The Print Collective...I'll be bothering them very soon... we need Tankie prints methinks...

Photobucket

More stuff...
Photobucket

I'll post more photos tomorrow if I have time!

7 comments:

Simon said...

dude that looks so good - i would love to have painted one - yours came out real nice - how did you do it?

anyway loving it mate
-Simon

Rufus Dayglo said...

Thanks Simon... I'll put up some photos this weekend of the steps I took yo messing up an aeroplane fuselage..

Some of the panels at the show are mindblowing...particularily Alex Wright's...a Red latex pinup, with a vultures head...just stunning..

Breathless said...

Great work Rufus!/TessTrueheart

Zara said...

Hey Rufus, you still in London at the mo? Do you have an e-mail address I can post to?

Puredaft said...

Lovely. Is that the paper and acrylic thingy? It looks fantastic.
Really like the dodgy shade of peuce/pink!

Rufus Dayglo said...

Zara,
Yes I am! I couldn't access your blog to send my email address... you can send me a PM at www.tank-girl.com

Zara said...

OK, dumbest thing ever but I didn't understand how to (I did sign up to the mailing list though haha). Can you please e-mail me? My contact details can be found here: http://www.zara-arshad.com (don't want to directly put my e-mail here in case of spam).

Thanks Rufus :)